Want to join our adventure?
We're very pleased you're interested in joining scouting. Please complete the form below, we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
If you haven't already, visit our Members' Handbook for more info about our Group (and our Admissions Policy) and take a look around our site to see some of the great adventures we get up to.
If you're an adult looking for information about how to volunteer with us - we'd be very pleased to meet you - head over to our 'We're scouting for talent' page to find out more.
To add you your young person to our joining list, we need to collect some personal information from you to help us determine which section is correct and how to get in touch with you. The information collected by the form below is automatically added to our electronic membership management system and an email sent to the relevant adult in the Group with your details to enable to them to process your enquiry. All your information is kept in accordance with current data protection legislation. For more information, please see our privacy notice and the Keeping Data Safe page. Completion of this form gives us (11th Folkestone Scouts) permission to hold this information.
The joining list process is broken into 3 stages, as explained below:
- Parent is pointed to the 11thfolkestonescouts.org.uk website.
- Parent finds the joining list registration form.
- Parent completes the form.
- Form is submitted to Online Scout manager.
- Parent is emailed a copy of their submission.
- Joining list admin team is emailed a copy of the submission.
- Joining list admin team review submission on the joining list.
- Admin checks the age, and if less than 5 3/4 the parent is contacted to acknowledge receipt.
Review & Offer
- The section leader reviews the list for members who are in their age range.
- The section leader contacts the parent and offers a place or identifies a likely start date if in the future, and updates the Contact Record.
- The section leader liaises with the parent throughout the offer, keeping the Contact Record up to date throughout
- Once the offer is accepted the section leader will transfer the submission with their OSM instance to enable the parent to easily receive section communications such as programme & event details and complete the data collection requirements.
The joining list is not strictly linear, a number of factors will be taken into consideration to ensure that the young person gets a quality time in scouting. Which may mean if your child gets close to the upper age range for their current section, they will be considered for the next section.
For example Johnny has been on the list since he was 4 years old, but he is now 7 years and 10 months old. Janey has been on the list since she was 5, and is 5 years 10 months old, it is likely that the place will be offered to Janey over Johnny, because Janey will have more time in Beavers than Johnny will. By the time Johnny has settled in it’ll be time to move him to cubs, and unsettle him again.
Our preference is to maximise the experience for the young person, over strict linear churn through the joining list.
The ages at which the joining list administration team move young people between lists is as follows:
|Beavers||0 years – 7 years 10 months|
|Cubs||7 years 11 Months – 10 years|
|Scouts||10 years 1 month – 13 year 6 months|
|Explorers||13 years 6 months – 18 years|
However there may be some variations at the discretion of the relevant sections leaders. Our admissions policy is final.
We have an online form that captures the data required to be able to offer places, when they become available. This form can be found:
This data captured within this form is made available to the individual section leaders through our Online Scout Manager membership management system.
Some quick videos about Scouts
A quick form and someone will get in touch with you